Vestkorn is the first in the world to offer a Fababean protein concentrate with a protein content of 65%. The product is 100% Natural and made by the use of dry milling and air classification. No additives or chemical compounds are used in the process. Fababean protein concentrate is made by the use of low tannin fababeans and only the kernel is used in the process of making the product.
Vestkorn Faba protein is a natural native protein with a uniquely high 65% protein content. The ingredient offers an excellent amino acid profile and the higher protein content compared to pea protein concentrate can make it an easier fit when replacing soy protein. Faba protein is a clean label ingredient (EU) and removes both the allergenicity issues, sustainability issues and concern for GMO that you may have when using ingredients from soy.
- Replaces egg or other protein from animal origin while maintaining or increasing the protein content: Lowering costs
- Acts as stabilizer and improving consistency
- Produces a stable emulsion, has good fat- and water binding capacity
- Excellent emulsifying characteristics and heat resistance.
- Provides viscosity and smooth texture
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- Natural & sustainable
- Soy protein replacement in gluten-free biscuits and emulsified sausages
- Meat extender in burger meat and emulsified sausages
- Protein fortification in bread
- Protein fortification of extruded snacks
- Extrusion of meat analogs
- Vegan spreads
- Vegan mayonnaise
Vestkorn is the biggest producer in Europe of protein and starch concentrates made from the dry milling of the two legumes faba beans and peas. The ingredients produced are exported globally.
Vestkorn is ISO 2200 certified as the first and only one of its kind in Europe. By end 2019 the company also aims to be FSSC certified. In addition the company holds Halal, Kosher, Organic and GMP+ certifications
Faba beans (Vicia faba) are a type of pulse or legume, a plant group than also includes lentils, beans, chickpeas, lupins and soybeans. Faba beans are also known by many other names including broad bean, fava bean, field bean and tic bean. The faba beans used by Vestkorn are all farmed in Europe. Faba beans are well suited to growing conditions in Northern Europe and are an ideal source of good quality nutrition and in particular as a source of protein as well as starch and fibre. Faba beans are a highly sustainable crop as the have nitrogen fixing bacteria in nodules in their roots so they have lower fertilizer requirements than other crops and are ideal for rotation with cereals and other food crops. Faba beans have a higher protein content than peas, and also higher levels of some essential amino acids.
Some environmental benefits of bean crops include:
- Nitrogen rich organic manures after cropping
- A direct positive impact on soil quality because they help feed soil microbes, which benefits soil health
- Building of soil fertility via carbon and nitrogen sequestration
- Diversification of crop rotation and reduction in the requirement for pesticides
- Require less fertiliser than other crops
- A protein source with a low ecological footprint, both for carbon and water – especially compared with animal proteins
- Helps prevent soil erosion by strip intercropping
- Long-term sustainability compared with other protein sources
- Local production in Europe unlike most soybeans, so less transport
Beans have several nutritional benefits compared to cereal and starchy tuber ingredients. For example:
- High protein
- High in some essential amino acids such as lysine
- Low fat
- Gluten free
- High fibre
- Low allergenicity
- A good natural source of Vitamin A, Thiamine, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin K, Potassium, Copper, Zinc and Manganese
- Nutritional information is given on individual product data sheets.
For more information please contact our sales team.